£650 - £750 per day
12 months ago
Chief Engineer - SC Cleared
Contract: 6-months initially
Rate: £650-£700 per day (inside ir35)
Clearance: SC Cleared
CE should be highly innovative and versatile. The successful candidate will have a full understanding of the principles of system engineering, be able to demonstrate past successes in leading small diverse engineering teams and will have prior experience leading large small Systems Engineering teams for a programme. Using their experience in Systems Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute Systems Engineering activities across the full lifecycle.
Duties will include but not limited to:
- Collaborates with the pre-sales/bid team on all engineering effort:
- Resource Management for engineering disciplines
- Technical customer requirements - discovery and analysis of requirements. Production of impact assessment and estimates against customer-provided specifications
- Solution derived requirements, design and approach
- Project management items; technical measures, constraints, risks, technical deliverables, assumptions, dependencies. Own and plan the engineering effort for their aspect of the programmes.
- Reviews the proposed technical solution and approach with the purpose of establishing and managing an overall technical baseline for his aspect of the programme.
- Execute the engineering effort.
- Communicates the technical plans and assignments to all members of their technical teams and sub-contractors
- Establish the technical sub-teams based on the agreed organisation structure
- Manage engineering analyses, trade studies, prototype development and test.
- Manage Bid deliverables
- Plan and direct the preparation, internal review, and customer delivery of bid deliverables.
- Plan, schedule, and lead technical bid reviews. Ensure all action items are recorded and assigned to the appropriate teams or individuals for disposition.
- Track and manage the closure of review action items
- Document and maintain the outputs of the process
- Conduct peer reviews on bid outputs of this process as defined by the project.
- Obtain approval of technical process outputs from internal and external stakeholders as defined in the bid's plans.
- The ability to communicate at all levels about high level architecture as well as the low level design layers.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with ability to interact at all levels from engineers to executives
- An ability to understand and translate customer needs and expectations
- Understanding of various system development methodologies
- Ability to lead, encourage and influence cross functional and multi-location teams
- Ability to define new strategies and processes, driving these through to their implementation
- Confidence to work independently and within a fast-paced team
- Experience of delivering solutions within the context of Service Orientated Architectures and associated service management solutions (people, process, governance & technology)
- Will have a high level of competency in the following areas:
- Delivering Engineering Solutions.
- Managing engineering processes.
- Delivering Quality.
- Engineering Planning.
- Managing Suppliers & Contractors.
- Cost Estimating.
- ITIL experience
- Cloud Micro-services
- Knowledge of defence, Home Office or Police programmes desirable, however experience of equivalent domains or systems suitable
- Experience of transitioning from legacy systems to new capabilities
- Experience of model based system engineering methodologies and outputs
- Experience decomposing system of systems architectures and specification of systems at multiple levels
- Experience of specifying systems/services from user perspective and ability to produce abstract views of detailed internal service design
- Experience in designing Cloud-based Platforms would be an advantage, including large scale system virtualisation and orchestration
- Experience of utilising DOORS (or similar requirements management tool) to manage requirements and Model Based Systems Engineering tools for managing user scenarios