New Malden, London
11 months ago
Vacancy Type: Permanent (Contractors considered)
Salary: £55,000 (Can be negotiated)
Mainly remote with occasional travel to London
Must hold/be eligible for Security Clearance
Functional Safety Engineer
The Functional Safety Engineer role involves working as part of the functional safety engineering team supporting the delivery of a number of complex safety critical and safety related systems across multiple platforms.
We are a dynamic global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions worldwide. We have over 2,500 employees across Europe and a rapidly expanding UK operation.
In our rapidly growing UK Defence business, we support our customers' work to create world-class mission capabilities.
As a part of our company you will use your skills to make a difference in our mission of enabling global security. Our company grows because of our employees dedication and commitment to achieving this goal.
With a belief in rewarding the dedication shown by our staff, we give employees access to a benefits package that provides you with health &well-being benefits, discount schemes, pension benefits and investment in your future development, but most importantly the flexibility to balance your professional career with your personal life.
* Be responsible to the Project Safety Manager, who leads the technical safety work and is responsible for generating the safety case.
* Undertake safety analysis activities as directed by the project safety manager.
* Generate safety requirements for the system to ensure that the customers safety targets and derived safety targets can be met by the system design (e.g. random hardware failure probabilities or systematic safety integrity level (SIL) targets for software and/or firmware.
* Support the planning of safety activities on a complex project, including effort estimating to deliver the project milestones and safety case objectives.
* Supporting audits at internal and external design reviews and safety committee meetings
* Generating safety analysis and documenting it in a report, which will be the subject of internal peer review, governance reviews and presenting the findings to the customer.
* Producing technical documentation to a high standard in accordance with company/customer procedures
* Travelling to customer and sub-contractor sites in the UK, occasionally overseas, as required
* Undertaking analysis that positively impacts the design decisions and solutions propose by the engineering teams
* Presenting complex and reasoned safety arguments to internal and external stakeholders in order to influence their consideration of safety decisions.
* Working collaboratively within multi-disciplined teams to maximise NGs reputation by generating high quality and well-reasoned outputs
* Minimum of 3-years of relevant work experience in a safety-related engineering environment
* Understanding and awareness of international and defence standards such as IEC 61508 and Def Stan 00-056
* Awareness of safety assurance of COTS PE based systems or high integrity software
* Ability to understand hardware and software failure modes, causes and effects
* Experience in some areas safety/reliability analysis techniques: hazard identification and analysis, FMECA, FTA, Functional Failure Analysis
* Awareness of the tools and techniques used in Risk Assessments and developing ALARP justifications
* Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team (e.g. systems, hardware, software and ILS engineers, project management, customer and supplier engineering teams)
* Degree, HND, HNC in Engineering or Safety Management related discipline
* UK Eyes Only Security Clearance required - Sole British Citizens Only
It would be great if you had:
* Experience of Commercial or Military Maritime engineering
* Safety requirements capture, negotiation and trade--off
* Knowledge of Human Factors Engineering
* Knowledge of formal Validation and Verification processes
* UK Defence experience on maritime projects
* Knowledge of the full systems engineering lifecycle