£30000 - £35000 per annum
almost 2 years ago
Junior Optical Engineer - Devon x 2
Permanent - £30-35,000 per annum
Knowledgeable engineer, preferably with experience of optical products including digital signal processing. Will join a product R&D team and contribute to the development of new components and modules for next generation optical transmission systems.
The role will involve working in parallel with the design team to verify product performance against target customer specifications including optical, electrical and system parameters. This will include building of appropriate R&D test equipment and measurement automation. This will include close co-operation with test and firmware engineering to ensure linkage with NPI and manufacturing teams. The individual will work closely with other members of the design team, including optical and electronic engineers, firmware design/regression engineers, test and process development engineers and the product qualification team to deliver cost effective product solutions in a timely manner.
In this role, the successful candidate will have an opportunity to work as part of a world class engineering team and to contribute to the success of the Transmission Division.
- Responsible for the characterization of tunable optical transceivers
- Assure performance, and manufacturability of optical transceiver
- Characterization of module level performance in the presence of impairments
- Understanding customer and multi-source specification requirements
- Work with test and firmware engineering in the development of transceivers
- Write technical reports.
- Support qualification activities
- Interact with internal design engineers in US and overseas and external vendors/customers
- Participate and contribute to internal and external meetings
MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering/Physics (nice to have)
Extensive experience using high-speed optical and electrical equipment: Scopes, Bit-Error-Rate Testers, Vector Analyzers, Optical Spectrum Analyzers, Optical Attenuators, Wavelength meters, tunable filters, optical noise sources, etc.
Experience characterizing high-speed optical transceivers: OSNR, Sensitivity.
Knowledge of impairment in DWDM systems
Knowledgeable of high-speed optoelectronic devices (e.g. lasers, detectors, modulators)
Knowledgeable of high-speed digital signal processing
Multi-disciplinary background with a demonstrated record of innovation
Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills
Experience with optical modelling
Experience in bulk data analysis and information sharing