Based in Bristol
Large Bristol based Defence company are looking for a Lead Engineer to help the UK MOD 5 IFF programme to upgrade of 33 UK platforms across Land Sea and Air Domains to introduce the new Mode 5 capability, meeting an Initial Operating Capability of 133 by 2020 and Full Operating capability of 396 platforms by 2023 across all 3 domains. Working under direction from the UK Mode 5 IFF Systems Engineering Manager, and as part of the IPT leading the supply chain, the Platform Engineering Lead has ultimate responsibility for delivery of the Technical Solution for assigned platforms.
* Overall responsibility to ensure delivery of technical solution for assigned platforms ahead of schedule through to successful completion of First of Type Testing and
* released into follow-on embodiment, to achieve IOC and FOC.
* Manage technical aspects of subcontract relationships with Platform Design Organisations (PDOs)
* Working with MOD Platform Project Teams to ensure the solution is agreed and delivered ahead of schedule, ensuring that capable platforms are available for IOC and FOC.
* Working with Technical Leads and PDOs to ensure Maturity Gate Reviews are held and achieved ahead of schedule.
* Working hands on with guidance and support from specialists to ensure that all engineering aspects are considered and assessed through the maturity gate reviews to ensure design integrity, including Human Factors, Interface Management, Hardware Design, Software Design, Configuration Management, ILS, Security, Safety and
* Interoperability with other platform systems
* Update and Maintenance of Platform Requirements Database, including the Verification and Validation Requirements Matrix (VVRM)
* Update and maintain Ministry of Defence Architectural Framework (MODAF) platform views
* Update and maintenance of all platform documentation for use with suppliers and delivery to the customer
* Working with the Project Manager within the IPT to maintain Schedule, Cost, Risks and Opportunities.
* Maintaining and reporting project status to the UK Mode 5 IFF Senior Engineering and Project Management team.
* A successful candidate must have strong leadership skills, with the ability to lead and interact with suppliers, customer and subject matter experts to deliver the platforms through development and Release to Service.
* A proven track record in schedule adherence and achieving high standards
* The position requires the successful candidate to work hands-on to update and deliver the engineering solution, supported by specialists.
* Ability to produce clear and concise technical documentation
* Ability to demonstrate and apply system-level thinking
* The Candidate will be expected to work closely with other Platform Engineering Leads under direction of the UK Mode 5 IFF Systems Engineering Manager, to ensure common methods of working and maximise efficiencies across the IPTs.
* To achieve the timescales for IOC the Platform Engineering Lead is required to make quick informed decisions, focus on opportunities and take reasonable agreed risks in order to deliver the programme. This role requires leaders who are able to challenge the established "process" and methods, with a flexible approach to change from others.
* Knowledge of new and existing Mode 5 IFF technologies and products
* A degree-level qualification (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline