£500 - £540 per day
2 months ago
Linux Support Engineer - Hybrid (Surrey 1 day a week) - £540 - 6 Months initially
You will join a global consultancy working within their satellite communications practice. You will play a key role in updating the baseline for Linux based servers in the Iris AeroRack and supporting deployments. The servers support security barriers and are correspondingly locked down, requiring a knowledge of access control and security event reporting tools. The role is customer-facing and there will also be opportunities to support design activities and business development.
++ Please note that some aspects of this role can be done remotely, but you must be able to be attend the Surrey based office on occasions (e.g. at least a 4 days per month), because that is where the kit is based. ++
Your skills and experience:
- Significant experience of Linux system administration in a virtualised environment (Ubuntu and RHEL) in a Shell Terminal.
- Familiarity with security locked down Linux systems.
- Comfortable with scripting/coding - e.g. Python
- Good client-facing and communication skills
- Ability to take own responsibility for a task and deliver it
- Creating and managing server room backup processes.
- Experience in installing, configuring and implementing server devices
- Either prior knowledge of or ability to quickly learn:
- Working knowledge of VMWare Virtual Machine maintenance and configuration.
- Puppet Configuration control.
Highly desirable skills
- Experience of troubleshooting network connections.
- Working knowledge of networking including virtual network devices and iptables. Experience in installing, configuring and implementing switch and firewall devices.
- Experience of configuring Palo Alto, PFSense and Cisco Firewall Devices.
- Experience of configuring Load Balancing Hardware.
- SVN Configuration control
- Some experience with Windows /AD DC (Active Directory Domain Controller)