£550 - £600 per day
8 months ago
Principal Engineer/EPM - SC cleared
Rate: £600 per day inside ir35
Clearance: SC clearance required
Remote working: fully remote
The Engineering Project Manager (EPM) role is used in engineering disciplines when the scope of engineering programme work is large and complex, as is the case with the HOB Programme. The Engineering PM will support the Chief Engineer by managing the technical staff, ensure policy and process is defined and followed and ensure that the engineering team has the tools needed to deliver. With a focus on the operational aspects of engineering, the EPM has oversight and responsibility for the technical principles, theories, and concepts, and standards in support of engineering delivery.
Core skills and behaviours
- Drives the team towards delivery by shaping and encouraging the team to achieve outcomes.
- Significant experience in delivery of complex and parallel technical deliverables for large government organisations or private corporations using a diverse engineering and technology team.
- Significant experience in breaking down technical deliveries into manageable and trackable parts.
- Strong and practical knowledge of cross functional business skills, including but not limited to; project management, cost management, risk management, estimating using formal methods, supply chain, schedule management, forecasting, resource planning.
- Experience in lifecycle methodologies, technical governance and technical solutions relevant to the domains.
- Experience of technical business analysis or systems engineering, including requirements management.
- Experience of large-scale integrations, micro service architecture and key technologies.
- Keen technical advocate and self-learner up to date with the latest technology and innovations; encourages and inspires those around them.
- Line management is not core to this role, however, Engineering Leads have the ability to grow and manage those on the path to technical leadership roles.
Schedule, programmatic and delivery:
- Work with the Technical Workstream PM to define, maintain and schedule the team's schedule, aligned to the Integrated Master Schedule (IMS), for their area of delivery to include deliverable items.
- Identify and manages engineering risk.
- Develop, initiate, document, and track corrective actions to address technical performance issues or other problems and prevent issues from recurring.
- Report status of corrective actions to the Chief Engineer. If necessary, re-plan effort in coordination with the Chief Engineer.
- Identify dependencies sufficiently well in advance to allow colleagues and partners to achieve said dependency.
- Ensure that the monthly ETCs (hours) for your area of responsibility are updated in CAM Handbooks, and VARs completed with respect to hours.
- Track and report metrics related to technical delivery and Agile execution.
- Align and work within Leidos EngineeringEdge® NextGen processes and procedures.
- Develop derived requirements, designs and approach for your area to align with the solution defined by the Solution Architect.
- Work with security and the PMO to ensure that the team is compliant with the Security SyOps and the SAL.
- Manage day-to-day operation of the technical engineering for your area of delivery.
- Coordinate with Configuration Management / PMO to ensure configuration control of the system design, system elements, documents, and other technical artefacts in accordance with agreed processes.