£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive benefits
7 days ago
Tooling Design Engineer
Up to £45,000 basic
Based in Southampton
A leading aerospace manufacturing specialist and supplier is looking for a Tooling Design Engineer to join their growing team based in Southampton.
- You will be responsible for the design and delivery of tooling, whilst supporting the ongoing maintenance and control of all sustaining tooling, the development of tooling processes and approaches, and acknowledging any contractual obligations imposed by the customer.
- Ensure processes contribute to a safe working environment and meet EHS requirements and KPIs. Actively lead/support EHS projects and pursuits.
- Manage and develop approved suppliers base to support projects, tool design and/or manufacturing requirements.
- Specify and procure new equipment and tooling to meet production and quality requirements with an emphasis on delivering tooling that supports in-process inspection, process improvements and lean manufacturing.
- Review, assess and critique supplier proposals to ensure most effective solution can be obtained, considerate of safety, cost, delivery and capability. Where appropriate leverage on site skills outside of direct team to support these assessments.
- Manage the internal or external repair of tooling assets as necessary.
- Fully support internal design and manufacturing engineers on NPI projects as required, including preparation of ROM tool costings to support any new bid activity.
- Define, enable and implement proactive systems in alignment with AS9145 framework (e.g. process capability analysis, SPC, PFMEA, capacity planning and error proofing etc.) strategically across function and applied on critical parts/processes to reduce the potential of failure.
- Maintain governance across tooling assets, in alignment with customer requirement.
- Support/lead customer audits as required.
- Troubleshoot shop issues, lead tooling investigations and implement RCCA where appropriate.
- Participate in local and site wide initiatives and projects as required.
- Degree in Engineering / Technical discipline preferred however, equivalent knowledge and experience will also be considered.
- Background in aerospace engineering is preferred.
- Use of CAD software (ideally Catia V5)
- Previous experience designing tooling / jigs & fixtures OR strong mechanical design experience with knowledge of tooling design
- Detailed understanding of GD&T, limits & fits, with strong assembly and detail manufacturing knowledge in both metallic and composite products
- Ability to read engineering drawings and interpret specifications.
- In depth understanding of Interchangeability (ICY) philosophies and their implementation and importance to processes and customer requirements.
Click APPLY NOW to begin your application and a representative from CBSbutler will be in touch should you be suitable for the position.