LHO Linux Engineer_1661953845
£55000 - £65000 per annum
3 months ago
Senior Linux Infrastructure Engineer
Salary: £55,000 - £65,000
Location: Mostly remote - Farnborough one day per week
Clearance: You will be put through SC clearance
What sets you apart:
We are looking for someone to work within a central government programme which is fast paced, innovative and going through the way they provide services to their customers. We are looking for someone to lead the Linux Engineering element of the team working with their other domain counterparts to move the existing hosted solution into the cloud, this per will have a passion for all things Linux and have experience in moving to a hybrid or fully cloud platform. You will ideally have an Operational Support services background with experience in cloud hosted and privately hosted environments. As a core member of the infrastructure team, you will provide remote and on-site support with the expectation of levels of travel within Farnborough and Whiteley areas. There is also an opportunity to provide out of hours on call support within a shared service team when required. You will also provide technical exposure variance across both outcomes-based project activities and Operational (Business as Usual) support activities. A keen interest or experience in supporting environments operating under DevOps methodologies would be advantageous.
You will be self-motivated and be able to work autonomously to achieve day to day objectives with significant results on project or operational deliverables. Whilst also owning a variety of activities ensuring compliance with project milestones and customer expectations. You must be an effective communicator, comfortable directly engaging with customers and colleagues. You must also demonstrate an analytical and systematic approach to technical challenges.
Your role will include
- Be a member of the project technical leadership, taking ownership of the Linux integration, and support elements of the solution.
- Analyse, develop, and implement configurations and solutions based on requirements whilst adhering to Engineering governance and best practice.
- Create and maintain documentation for installations, changes, and upgrades.
- Train less experienced engineers on updates and new installations.
- Perform troubleshooting, incident response, and patching in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical problems in timely and accurate manner to improve application performance and functionality.
- Evaluate system architecture and make recommendations as required.
- Develop and implement standard processes and procedures for installation, maintenance, and enhancement of applications.
- Act as a SME to drive continuous improvements.
- Collaborating with and influencing colleagues, internal stakeholders, and 3rd party suppliers, ensuring timely delivery of solutions which support the business.
- Help transform the systems to be operational in AWS cloud.
- Be aware of the future pipeline and keep yourself current in the latest technologies.
- Experience of build and administration of Red Hat Linux environments ·
- Experience building and managing Red Hat Virtualization (RHV)-hosted infrastructures.
- Experience of using configuration management tooling such as Git.
- Ability to write low level design documents.
- Ability to expand on a given goal with a documented delivery approach.
- Experience delivering solution implementation in line with provided high level design documentation.
- Aptitude and motivation for continued learning and expansion of skills.
- Knowledge of ITIL and Service Management.
- Experience of working with the Atlassian toolset (e.g., Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo).
- Experience of RHEL management with Satellite. Should include automation/orchestration experience using Puppet.
- Experience in deploying third party and Cloud native services, leveraging PaaS services to deliver best practice monitoring and management.
- Demonstrable experience of designing and implementing solutions using AWS with Terraform, and Ansible.
- Demonstrable experience of working in a DevOps environment
- Experience of applying security to all workloads.
- Experience of working with or implementing CI/CD infrastructure pipelines.
- Demonstrable experience of automating deployment and configuration of COTS software and promoting deployments through multiple environments.
- Experience of working in an Agile environment, such as Scrum or Kanban.