Tooling Design Engineer
Aviation and Aero, Engineering, Defence and Security, Manufacturing
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive benefits
3 months ago
Tooling Design Engineer
Up to £45,000 basic
Based in Southampton
A leading aerospace manufacturing specialist and supplier is looking for a Tooling Design Engineer to join their growing team based in Southampton.
- Tooling Design Engineer has accountability for the design and delivery of new tooling, supporting the ongoing maintenance and control of all sustaining tooling, development of tooling process and approaches whilst taking due consideration of any contractual obligations imposed by the customer.
- To undertake design and management of tooling to meet all tooling requirements using CATIA V5.
- Manage and develop approved suppliers base to support projects, tool design and/or manufacturing requirements.
- Fully support internal design and manufacturing engineers on NPI projects as required, including preparation of ROM tool costings to support any new bid activity.
- Troubleshoot shop issues, lead tooling investigations and implement RCCA where appropriate.
- Ensure processes contribute to a safe working environment and meet EHS requirements and KPIs. Actively lead / support EHS projects and pursuits.
- Specify and procure new equipment and tooling to meet production and quality requirements with an emphasis on delivering tooling that supports in-process inspection, process improvements and lean manufacturing.
- Review assess and critique supplier proposals to ensure most effective solution can be obtained, considerate of safety, cost, delivery and capability. Where appropriate leverage on site skills outside of direct team to support these assessments.
- Manage the internal or external repair and maintenance of tooling assets as necessary.
- Define, enable and implement proactive systems in alignment with internal framework (e.g. process capability analysis, SPC, PFMEA, capacity planning and error proofing etc.) strategically across function and applied on critical parts/processes to reduce the potential of failure.
- Maintain governance across tooling assets, in alignment with customer requirement.
- Understand customer needs (internal and external), identify resource requirements, resource and/or prioritise workload accordingly, including management of stakeholders.
- Support/lead customer audits as required.
- Degree in Engineering / Technical discipline or equivalent industry experience/qualification.
- Tool design experience preferably gained within a heavily regulated manufacturing environment, i.e. aerospace, nuclear, precision machining, automotive, etc.
- Competent with the use of design software - CATIA preferred but other design systems experience will be considered.
- Understanding of GD&T, limits & fits, with strong assembly and detail manufacturing knowledge, ideally in both metallic and composite products.
- Ability to read engineering drawings and interpret specifications.
- Proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, etc.)
Click APPLY NOW to begin your application and a representative from CBSbutler will be in touch should you be suitable for the position.